Baja California, Mexico // No. 4

[use left/right arrows to view more]

Our trip up the east coast was totally different from the west. More dirt roads. More dry river crossings (read: you will catch air if you don’t slow down). More glimpses of the ocean. We quickly stopped at Bahia de Los Angeles for one night. Antonio, the camp owner was the sweetest man who was so excited to see Winston because his daughter up in Ensenada has a pug too. His camp had the cool stone palapas too. A change from the palm woven palaces. We wanted to take a dirt road shortcut which happened to be part of the Baja 1000 route! Super cool. That road turned into another “more improved” dirt road. The Mex 5. Anyone who takes the Mex 5 is going to drive right by Coco’s Corner. Coco (an ex crop duster, who no longer has his legs) has taken this spot of desert and turned it into quite the pit stop. Rumor is you can see it from space…… Old trailers, toilets, tv’s, and aluminum cans are placed in strategically decorative places. Bras and panties hang from the ceiling of his porch. Cold drinks are ready to be purchased and stories from the road are meant to be shared. It was the perfect spot to stop after traveling the dirt road for a while. We made lunch at Gonzaga Bay (which has the NICEST pit toilets we had seen, by the way). We debated staying there for the night, but ended up pushing on for San Felipe. We’d heard the Baja 250 was happening up there and thought it way be worth checking out. This was kind of a mistake. It was cool to see the rigs, but the crowds were insane. A few too many sunburned necks ;) if you catch my drift. And monster energy drinks. And alcohol. All of the campgrounds were full near town so we drove a few miles back the other way and found an empty palapa down a hilly beach that wasn’t taken. The sand was sooooo deep! We cooked the Trigger fish we’d purchased from the guys who drive along the beaches selling goods (fruits, vegetables, water, blankets, fish, etc), and settled in for our last night in Mexico. Fireworks, and noisy engines, and cop sirens (catching the speeders) were the sounds that lulled us to sleep that night. Jesse had to gun it to get the truck up the sandy hill onto the road the next morning, one last ode to the Baja. We had to drive into the heart of town again for gas which was a nightmare, trying to weave in and out of the bumper to bumper traffic. In all honesty it probably wasn’t that chaotic, but after two weeks of quiet beaches and sleepy fishing towns, it was kind of a shock to the system to be in all of the commotion! 

Within a few hours we had crossed back over the border which was a slower, but painless, process. 

Now it’s on to planning the next adventure!

Destination: unknown.